Whether you need extra motivation or just looking for inspiring words, chances are you have seen one or two famous quotes about martial arts sometime in your life. Most people are introduced to martial arts through films and one of the most famous actors that made martial arts popular again are none other than Bruce Lee. Martial arts quotes are some of the most popular quotes.
Fight quotes are something that almost everyone can relate with, depending on what type of person you are. Fighter quotes can make or break someone depending on the person. For example someone with great resilience will benefit from knowing quotes about keep fighting when the tides are strong, meanwhile, someone that is more “calculated” will resonate more with other types of quotes.
Here are some of the best Bruce Lee quotes about life, fighting, and martial arts:
If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done
We all want to be on the safe side. Before we act we want to make sure things will work out well and thus we spend hours upon hours considering our decisions. Yet as Bruce Lee rightfully put – if we spend too much time thinking, eventually we will end up nowhere.
Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one
Somewhere inside we all want an easy life of comfort. Yet not only such a life is rarely possible, it would not even be good for us, since we learn most things through hardship. Living an entirely easy life, we would end up learning nothing and waste our whole potential. Thus to paraphrase Bruce Lee: “Do not want an easy life, do your best living a difficult one”.
Mistakes are always forgivable, if one dares to admit them
As you strive to live a life full of meaning and greatness, being open to challenge – you will fail – probably more often than those who don’t try at all. As Bruce Lee points out – making mistakes is not a problem, as long as you dare to admit them.
Be happy, but never satisfied
This quote could describe the whole life of Bruce Lee. Being never satisfied with imperfection he always strived for more, thus finding answers and solutions most of us never would. The question here is: are we easily satisfied with our results?
The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus
Sometimes we give an excuse to ourselves of “who are we to achieve anything”, yet as Bruce Lee points out: the successful one is not the one who is special, but a regular person who can devote himself completely to a single goal. This is the secret to greatness.
Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man. Sooner or the later the man who mins, is the man who thinks he can
Often being better or stronger is not enough. It is the mind that drives our bodies and results. If we do not believe in our success, how can we expect to succeed at all?
Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is specifically your own
One of the most famous phrases of Bruce Lee and not without a good reason. Too often we practice and believe things which are not effective, yet without questioning them we end up repeating many times something that does not give true value. It is of greatest importance to question what we do, only keeping the best solutions while discovering our unique answers to it as well, since…
If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of
Life is short. It’s actually for many much shorter than we think of. We all plan on living for a hundred years, yet as Bruce Lee’s life showed us – life can be much shorter than we expected. If we want to live a life of meaning and greatness, we have to appreciate each moment and let it not go to waste.
Real living is living for others
This could be considered one of the greatest things that Bruce Lee discovered. By living for ourselves we can commit only to mediocre goals and thus expect mediocre success, and little meaning in our lives. Yet it is by living for others that we make our lives matter and only in this way, we can create something that will be truly meaningful. Bruce Lee was a great example of this.
I fear not the man who practices 1000 techniques, I fear the man who practices one technique 1000 times
Instead of trying to learn a lot of techniques, focus on one thing until you truly master it. Then move on to other techniques. This principle applies to studying other things too.
More Fighting & Martial Arts Quotes
- The best fighter is never angry – Lao Tzu
- “Without books no one can be a good teacher nor even a good student of this art.”― Fiore Dei Liberi
- Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake – Napoleon Bonaparte
- You don’t have to be in a boxing ring to be a great fighter, as long as you are true to yourself, you will succeed in your fight – Muhammad Ali
- To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragedy – Cus D’ Amato
- A champion is someone who gets up when he can’t – Jack Dempsey
- Everyone has a plan until they get hit – Joe Louis
- The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire – Mark Twain
- The same hand that can write a beautiful poem, can knock you out with one punch and that is poetic justice – Wayne Kelly
- Don’t count the days, make the days count – Muhammad Ali
- Boxing is not about your feelings, it is about performance – Manny Pacquiao
- We must avoid treating karate as a sport. Your fingers and toes must be like arrows, your arms must be like iron. If you kick, kick the enemy dead. If you punch, punch to kill. This is the spirit you need to progress in karate – Choshin Chibana
- We should open karate to the public and receive criticism, opinions, and studies from other prominent fighting artists – Chojun Miyagi
- Why would you ignore 50% of the human body? – Dean Lister
- As long as I can put my arms below a man’s eyebrows, I can choke him out – Nicky Rodriguez
- Technique beats all – Caio Terra
- Nothing beats wrestling, excepts jiu jitsu – Mark Schultz
- Unlike breaking an arm or leg, no amount of heart can prevent someone from being choked out – John Danaher
- Visualization is a big part of combat sports, a boxer will often shadow box. Same needs to be done by a grappler, shadow-grappling is essential – John Danaher
- Want to disable someone’s strength, speed, and explosiveness? Take the fight to the ground – John Danaher
- Jiu jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life – Helio Gracie
- If we fight for money, I’ll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I’ll stop when I feel like it – Rickson Gracie
- Jiu jitsu is perfect. The error comes from humans – Rickson Gracie
- If you can beat someone 20kg heavier, something is wrong with your jiu jitsu – Rickson Gracie
- You put the devil on the other side and I will come to fight – Royce Gracie
- A black belt only covers 2 inches of your ass, you have to cover the rest – Royce Gracie
- When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean and I am a shark. And most people don’t even know how to swim – RCJ Machado
- Huge honor for me – Bernardo Faria
- The earth is flat – Eddie Bravo
- Undefeated and undisputed – Chael Sonnen
- I’m the man of the hour, too sweet to be sour. What you see is what you get and what you don’t is better yet. I’m the woman’s pick and the men’s regret – Chael Sonnen